Friday, September 29, 2017

First ski of the 17/18 season

Went back to the Timpanogos snowfield and it held quite a bit more snow than a couple of weeks ago. That snowfield is how I get September skiing in in Utah but you gotta want it pretty bad! One, the skiing is good, not great but good. Two, you have to be your own pack mule carrying a bit over 40 lbs for 3,500 feet and some before you start skinning. Then you have to gain another 1,000 feet before you get your first turn in! However, if you’re into that kind of thing, this is the place for you. I was solo so no pictures of me skiing but you do get to see me at the Emerald Lake Shelter (base of the snowfield) with my impossibly heavy pack.

I was planning on a few laps but I only got one run in before Loki (my dog) got hurt with a pretty impressive gash on his left forward leg (see picture below). Now I had to book it down asap to make it to the vet before they close for the day. I had to drop those 3,500 feet and six miles half-running (best I could do) with that heinous load on my back. I made it to the vet in Park City with about 6 min. to spare. Thankfully White Pine Veterinary Clinic puts the dog first so they were willing to do the overtime for Loki.

Here are yesterday's pictures:
Aspen Grove parking lot when I
was still excited about the load.

Hidden Lakes Cirque is now mostly white.

Yours truly not a little self-satisfied and getting that load to the
Emerald Lake shelter. Foto credit: Wade from Mississippi.

The snowfield has improved a lot in the last two weeks...

...especially the higher part to the Saddle.

Loki standing right in the way.
That's before he got hurt (see below).

Although this was my first ski I did not have to break trail.

This is after the first lap. Loki "caught an edge" and
the "rescue mission" was in full swing.







































































































The "before" pictures: Same place - 11 years ago

These pictures are from September 30, 2006, when I went up with my son, Nico (he was just 14 at the time):


Nico ready for a bright and early start!

Pretty good cover in the higher cirque.

Nico and I toiling up the interminable snowfield.
That day was a lot sunnier than yesterday.

Finally on top with a fairly long ski ahead of us...

...and finally the reward!

No comments:

Post a Comment