Saturday, November 19, 2016

1st Ski of the Season!

I went up to the Alta Collins base today and was pleasantly surprised to find that I could skin from the parking lot. Had one of those “stolen winter days” where everything around you tells you it really is winter, the wait is finally over. The wait has not been as bad as it seems, my first ski this year is only 12 days later than my first ski last year. It is true that the two years prior I was able to ski in October but then those two years turned into pitiful seasons while last season was quite OK. Here is to hoping that two late starts in a row translates into two proper seasons (or better).

I skinned to Germania Pass (top of Collins lift) but the snow up high was just insufficient for any real ski so I Nordic skied down on my skins and went across and up to the top of Wildcat. From there I again Nordic skied down but only to the Collins angle station as from there on the skiing was good and fun.

So what do you get out of a day like that?

1) A snow day
2) Lots of skinning
3) Average turns

Number 1) requires no comment. Number 2) gets you exercise while enjoying the Sub-Arctic flora, and 3) is amazing as everyone knows that bad turns let alone average turns, are a ton better than no turns at all!


Here are the pictures (click to enlarge):
Snow straight from the parking lot!

'Tis the season for a fair amount of service road action...

Limited but decent skiing opportunities

It looks like this is yet another year where the resort is
going to open before Graet Baldy chute is in condition...

...but thanks god Suicide chute is still there to
take up the slack.

I have passed here a million times (take or leave...) but
until today never noticed the indian head in profile.
Look inside the oval on the ridge-line and  look for the
nose then you'll figure out the eye and the mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment