Saturday, December 28, 2013

West Porter Fork


Today we encountered fantastic snow conditions in West Porter Fork. The powder was abundant, fast and fun. The snowpack did not give up any signs of instability at all. We still have a few inches of facets down under though and that layer is much lower density than what’s above so we are definitely looking at an upside down snowpack that will require caution for yet a while. However we did stay on terrain well below 35° most of the time and whenever it was steeper it was in reasonably tight trees. The exit is reminiscent of what I can imagine the Trail of Tears would be but still well worth the effort considering this must be one of the very few favored spots right now.
Here are the pictures (click to enlarge):
Scenic cliff bands on the way up the skin track
at about 9,000 '

View into West Porter Fork

View into Main Porter Fork

Powder everywhere...

Mike in full transition

Scott coming down...

...and eric too..

From left to right: Don, Eric, Mike, and Scott.

Mike makes it to an old school first responder 

2 comments:

  1. Salut Pierre,
    This is Philippe on-line (recall New Year's day powder on Cardidac several years ago). I was in snowbird last week for our yearly family vacation. I took my daughter on her first tour on Cardiac, with Sebastien and our beloved Tyson. Sebastien and I willl be back early March, we should reconnect and get some turns together. Send me a line on my gmail account.
    Philippe N

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salut Philippe, I do remember you and your son very well but I am not finding your gmail. Let me know when you will be back in the Wasatch next and let's plan an outing. I don't want to post my email here but you can contact me via LinkedIn.
    Hope to hear from you soon,
    Pierre

    ReplyDelete